User Accounts and Roles
Site managers have the ability to manage the user accounts on their site by adding and updating user roles and by canceling user accounts.
Types of users
Anyone who visits your website is considered a user. For public websites, there are two types of users:
- Anonymous Users - Users who are not logged in
- Authenticated Users - Users who are logged in
Intranets only have Authenticated Users.
User roles and permissions
Users on your site can be assigned a User Role by site managers. A user role defines a group of users that have certain additional privileges as defined in User Permissions.
There are currently three main user roles on Stanford Sites:
- Contributor (least access)
- Site Editor
- Site Manager (most access)
This table represent the different types of user roles and their permissions.
User Roles Permission Comparison
|Permission||Contributor||Site Editor||Site Manager|
|Add Basic Page||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|Add Event Series||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|Add Unpublished Content||✔️||✔️|
|Edit Basic Page||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|Edit Event Series||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|Edit Text Area in HTML text format||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|Delete Basic Page||✔️||✔️|
|Delete Event Series||✔️||✔️|
|Delete Own Basic Page||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|Delete Own Event||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|Delete Own Event Series||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|Delete Own News||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|Delete Own Person||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|Delete Own Media||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|View Unpublished Basic Page||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|View Unpublished Event||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|View Unpublished Event Series||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|View Unpublished News||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|View Unpublished Person||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|View Unpublished Paragraph||✔️||✔️|
|Revert and Delete Revisions||✔️||✔️|
|Edit Main Menu||✔️||✔️|
|Edit Local Footer||✔️|
|Edit Global Message||✔️|
|Edit Page URLs||✔️||✔️|
|Manage URL Aliases and Redirects||✔️|
|Manage Events Importer||✔️|
|Manage Person Importer||✔️|
|Manage Site Settings||✔️|
|Use Search and Access Help||✔️||✔️||✔️|
Stanford Sites also supports two additional roles which may be granted in consultation with Stanford Web Services. Each of these roles requires technical knowledge and requires the user to assume some additional responsibility.
- Layout Builder User. This role grants access to Layout Builder, an additional tool for adjusting some page configurations on a per-page basis. Users granted this role should have previous familiarity with Layout Builder and an understanding that it is not a supported tool.
- Site Embedder. This role grants access to a wider range of embedding options. Users granted this role must have the knowledge outlined in our Embeddable Media Policy Users granted this role assume responsibility for the security of the embeddables they add to their media library.