Stanford Sites Intranet
Stanford Sites Intranet is a fee-based service for building and managing a website for private, secure information sharing. It offers design flexibility, integration with Stanford systems, and substantial functionality through Drupal.
Stanford Sites Intranet allows you to create a site where all visitors must enter their SUNet ID to view the any site content. You have the option to control access via workgroup or by broad categories (Staff, Faculty, Student, etc.
- Controlled access to the site via workgroup or by broad category (Stanford-only, Stanford Staff, etc.)
- Provide access to users with both Basic and Full SUNetIDs
- Ability to add custom roles to a site (Tech Leads, Student Services Officers, etc.)
- Restrict access to individual site pages based on custom role
- Workgroup mapping available to control role membership
- Use the full CAP API to pull Stanford-only profile information from Stanford Profiles
- Same editing experience as Stanford Sites
- Feature roadmap shared with Stanford Sites
Request a Stanford Sites Intranet
You will need to appoint a site owner who will take responsibility for requesting and being the point of contact for all service terms and communications. The point of contact should have signing authority for the PTA or the ability to connect to the signing authority.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can use the Stanford Sites Intranet service?
Any Stanford school, department, unit, institute, center, lab, and/or other group hosting low or moderate risk data or content, which has the ability to use SUNetID for authentication, access to a PTA for annual maintenance fees, and eligibility to use Stanford-branding.
What kind of access control is available for my intranet?
A site owner can establish an intranet with access controlled in a combination of four different ways:
- Open to any valid SUNetIDs
- Open to specific valid SUNetIDs
- Open to specific Workgroup(s)
- Open to specific SUNetID affiliation (e.g. staff, faculty, or student)
How do I build and design an intranet site?
The same way you would any other Stanford Sites-based website. See the Build and Design page for tips.
What kind of data is acceptable on my intranet?
Low and medium risk data only. High risk data can be stored on Google Shared Drives but cannot be stored on your Stanford Sites Intranet. If you require an intranet for your high risk content, please request a consultation with Stanford Web Services.
What file types are allowed on my intranet?
Due to privacy concerns, documents shared via an intranet must be stored on Google Drive or another authentication-based service. Be sure to establish storage space first and set permissions on documents accordingly before creating links to the documents on your intranet.
How do I test the accessibility of my intranet?
SiteImprove scans are not allowed on intranets for data security and privacy reasons. You are still responsible for making your intranet site accessible to all of your users. Follow these instructions for checking the accessibility of your content as you create and edit pages on your intranet.