News List Page
The News List page is a filterable list of news items, sorted by most recent, which is dynamically generated from existing news content on your site. The filter allows site visitors to filter news by News Types, which you can define.
The News List Page can be found by visiting
[your site url]/news.
If you do not wish to use this page, you may take it out of the menu and unpublish it.
How this page works
We have an example News List page on this site that lists all of our original and reposted articles. The News List page has the following features:
- The News List page will automatically show a teaser for all published News content on your site.
- The teaser will lead the user to the individual news item on your site.
- If you enter an External Source url, the teaser will lead the user to the news article on another site. The teaser will get an external link icon to indicate that the link leads off the site.
- The first level of News Type taxonomy will be used as the filters in the sidebar.
- The order of the filters is controlled by the News Type taxonomy order.
- News items always show the most recent news post at the top, and are sorted in descending order by the Publishing Date field.
- A load more button will display for results over 20 results
- The page is a Basic Page. If you wish to add other Paragraphs to the page, you may. You may also change the page title.
- You may change the page path. However, you may wish to leave it in place so that it is consistent with the filtered versions of the page.
- You may place it in the navigation as you would any other Basic Page.
How the filtered displays work
Each filter creates a new automated page that shows only the content that meets the filter criteria. You can see an example of a filtered News List page by going to our Release Notes. These pages have the following features:
- These pages always have the URL of
/news/[term-name]. You can use these to link your site visitors directly to a filtered view.
- The page titles are not editable.
- These pages are not placed in the navigation using the standard method. If you wish to have them in your menu, you would need to add them as a custom item.
- If you wish to have text at the beginning of the page, you can add it in the Description field on the News Type taxonomy. It is not possible to add other paragraphs to these pages.
- You may use secondary or tertiary News Type taxonomy terms. They will appear as tags on the teaser. You can see the example on our Release Notes, where 4.x is a secondary taxonomy term.
If you do not want a filter on your News page
If you do not wish to use the filtered view. You can simply unpublish the page. We recommend you do not delete the page in the event you wish to use it later.
If you wish to use the URL
/news, but do not wish to use the filter, there are a few extra steps to follow:
- Edit the URL alias on the News List page so that it is not automatically generated. You can call it something like
/news-old. Save the page.
- Edit the URL redirects to remove the automatic
/newsredirect that is created.
- Unpublish the News List page.
You can then create a new page and use the title News. If you still wish the page to automatically show a list of your news, you can use the Lists Paragraph.